Painting of Gnandstein Castle
Around 1225/30, a three-storey palace was built, which was raised by one storey in the late 14th century.
On the first floor is a hall with triple windows with Romanesque capitals. Only a short time later, a fortification wall was added to the ring wall in the east as an essential extension of the defensive fortifications. The outer walls were extended several times. In the middle of the 13th century, a round keep was built in the upper inner courtyard of the castle.